Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Princess Bride

I have been in love with the British Royal Family ever since Princess Diana came into the picture. Now granted I was super young, but my grandmother has collected just about every magazine, picture editorial, etc. about the royal family since I was born, and it has become our shared guilty pleasure. I was in 5th or 6th grade I believe when the Princess died, and I stayed up (no lie) all night long to watch the funeral. My two friends and I had a sleepover and I was the only one who made it the entire time, since in the states, it was about 3 or 4 am when it aired. I cried my eyes out. Harry's card that said 'Mummy' absolutely did me in. As I've gotten older, I've come to appreciate even more the amazing things Di did with her fame, that actually had nothing to do with bringing fame to herself. I could go on about her work all day, but I'd rather you go google it and see for yourself. No matter what horrible scandals the British press tried to slap on her, she struggled through it, and still came out with the full admiration and sympathy of the people. She is truly one of my idols.

Of course, then there's her sons. When I was younger, I had a crush on William. Harry was never on covers since he wasn't the next in line for the throne. There was a TIME magazine cover in particular that started that whole infatuation...
I was 11. And I had just discovered boys were cute anyway.
Then People Magazine went and made it worse.



So by 2001, as a freshman in high school, I admittedly still had girlish daydreams (however unlikely I knew them to be) of being his princess. Obviously, I'm being silly. But, I did have a little crush. Then, this story came out...
 and oh dear, Prince William who? Now, confession. I have a thing for Gingers. Big time. Don't ask me why. I just do. So, needless to say, I developed a much bigger crush on the younger prince.

 A puppy and a cute ginger headed guy? Just too much


 In this one he looks IDENTICAL to my middle school boyfriend.
Maybe subconsciously that's why I find him so attractive? Weird.
So, all joking and girlish fun aside, they are some good looking boys. AND, they are continuing on in their mother's footsteps, especially Harry (which is probably the other reason I find him more handsome now).
Flash forward to present day, where this gorgeous girl--with my name I might add-- came waltzing in. Now, this Friday, I'm definitely going to geek out again and be up at 4 am to watch the Royal Wedding.
(I mean honestly, could they be any cuter? She is so naturally beautiful it's stupid. And as much as it's been criticized, I think it's precious that he gave her his mother's ring.)

You'd pretty much have to be living in a cave underground for the last year to not know about it. But I am so stinkin' excited its embarrassing/ridiculous. So here is Ms. Kate in all her glory, with some stunning hats. I have always been the only girl of my friends to rock the hat at Derby or feathers in my hair-no matter how much I encouraged the others to too- so now maybe since Kate is in the spotlight, they'll be more likely to follow suit this year....


I even like her Indiana Jones hat.
 I want to know how a girl's body can look like that and not only survive on a slice of radish.



And then, my favorite hat, and one of my favorite pictures of them as a couple...


Just to die for. Friday is going to be epic. Now while I won't be wearing , holding, eating, or sipping from any of these (and lemme just say, there's some even stranger paraphernalia floating around out there)









...I do fully intend to, when I get off work that morning, come home, make myself a spot of tea, put on a fancy dress (or maybe fancy pajamas since I won't be watching it with anyone else), and watch the wedding coverage until I'm cross eyed. 

I warned you folks, total gushing. I'm sure I'll have plenty to say after Friday, too. So I'll leave you with this that had me cracking up.



No matter how devilishly handsome I find Harry to be, or how deeply I admire his mother, the truth is, royalty is just a title. And "men don't follow titles, they follow courage." Courage to take on causes like Diana did and her boys now do. Still, every girl, whether she admits it or not, has the daydream of being a princess, crown, castle, prince and all. But here is what I say (borrowed from The Little Princess herself)

"I am a princess. All girls are. Even if they live in tiny, old attics; even if they dress in rags; even if they aren't pretty, or smart, or young. They're still princesses. All of us."

And for the girls out there actually still dreaming of the real thing...
CHEERS.



1 comment:

  1. Love Love Love everything about this. Wish we could watch it together!! And thank you for awakening a crush on Harry...the black and white pic and the one below it...ahhhh!

    ReplyDelete