Monday, April 4, 2011

Baby Fever

My oldest, craziest lovely best friend is pregnant. Due a week after I graduate, I'm DETERMINED to get to that baby when she gets here! It's killing me to not be around to see M's belly grow, so I try to check in on her and the baby as often as possible. Last time we were home together was Christmas, and just for the heck of it, we stopped in a craft store at home. We had just left a bookstore where we got some coffee and each took a baby name book to give her ideas. It was so much fun- I think I would offer to do this with random strangers! We then moved next door to the craft place, and that got us talking about nursery decorating ideas. She was not at all expecting to get pregnant so soon and was desperate to get started with a theme before she got to the waddling-feet-hurt part of her pregnancy. Well, true to form, I think about this kind of stuff way more than I ought. I've always had this weird thing for sailboats, but since she's having a baby girl, that wouldn't fit. We walked all over the store, throwing around a million ideas, and finally had to call it a day. Just as we were leaving, I saw some empty birdcages against the wall by the register (one of my favorite random house decorations- I'm fascinated by them). "That would actually be kinda cool...." M's face just lit up! So imagine my excitement when I talked to her after a shower yesterday and she told me she got some bird stuff! I can't wait to see it when she's finished. She's such a quirky, funny person, but also great at sewing and very creative. It's going to be one of a kind for sure.
I for one am so pumped to do this one day myself. The trick is doing something that can last for a while. Even though I would bawl every episode of Extreme Home Makeover, darn if they didn't always give a 10 year old girl a Miley Cyrus themed room or something. Honestly? That's going to be cool for about 10 minutes and that poor girl will have to stare at that til she's 16. Forget about having any sleepovers, honey!
Anyway, like I said, for a boy, I love the idea of doing sailboats. I think it would be easy to transition as he got older, and could at least last him until middle school. For instance (excuse me while I indulge myself)

 I think it would be cool to make one wall a wallpaper of an older looking map of the world
 And have a model sailboat of course- neutral versions of the traditional navy, red, etc. like this
 Once he was out of a crib we could maybe do a bed like this?
 Back in 1961, Ethan Allen had the same idea
But this is much MUCH better. I'd do without the window treatment, but the rest is perfection. From the wood paneled walls, down to the anchor (I almost bought one in a thrift store the other day and then realized I was being ridiculous) and perhaps my favorite of any of these pictures the compass around the light fixture. See how easy it would be to take out the crib, put in a big boy bed and man up the bookshelves? We're talkin' a good 10 years at least without having to change the room too much! Even if just the map and the anchor and a grown up model sailboat survived, it'd be worth it!
 I'd definitely frame a few photos like this on the opposite wall
 I have no words. This is just so stinkin' cute I can't even take it

Awesome idea for a mobile isn't it?



Not that I've thought about it or anything....Hmmm but what if I have a girl? Oh boy....


WAIT! I've got it- P E A C O C K S!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment